Pīpīwharauroa, was painted in Port Chalmers in 1977. The title, blazoned as a framing device at the top and bottom of the image, is the Māori name for the Shining Cuckoo, whose call was believed to herald the arrival of spring. The title and the rich walnut and tiger-eye browns and honeyed golds connect it a handful of non-circle, highly linear paintings from the 1970s like Te Tangi o Te Pīpīwharauroa (Hocken Library, 1976) and Test Piece: Pīpīwharauroa (1977, formerly of the collection of Dame Judith Binney and Sebastian Black). The title of the Hocken Library work is the same as a waiata by Hotere’s father, Tangirau Hotere (1898-1982), which also inspired Colin McCahon’s 1974 painting of the same name, one of McCahon’s “answering harks” to a poem or another artist’s work, also in the Hocken collection. In much the same way as the Godwit/Kūaka mural was inspired by a Te Aupōuri Māori waiata also passed on along with his catechism by Hotere’s devoutly Roman Catholic father, and celebrates the long-distance migratory patterns of the Bar Tail Godwit, the circle in Pīpīwharauroa may represent the wheel of the seasons and ever-returning spring, but also the eternal human path from birth to death paced out against eternity. Part of the Godwit waiata also appears in another briolite circle work, Ruia Ruia, Opea Opea, Tahia Tahia (1977), indicative of the overlapping, rhizomatic whakapapa within Hotere’s oeuvre.